Thursday, October 18, 2018

Klatch & Buzz 10-18-18

       
       Reading has been one of my greatest joys all my life. From the moment I entered first grade classroom at Harrison Elementary, I fell in love with words on a page in the longest sentences I could find. Mother had read to me years before I went to school, and she let me follow along with my finger, telling me words and their meanings. Nobody, I mean, nobody in my world loved words like I did. My Grandfather Becker died right after I started to school, and once he was gone, he could no longer help me with my reading and tell me the meaning of words I didn’t know.
        So I went to my teachers and ask for information. My second grade teacher hesitated to get me some of the books I asked for from the library, as she said, “I was jumping too far ahead of my class.” But Miss Goddard, my first and third grade teacher, helped me find what she could from her own and the town library, checking out books for me that she let me read during recess and extra time after my lessons were finished.
        One day she called me to her desk during recess and told me she had called my mother. I was terrified until she reassured me that she’d asked her if I could participate in a special reading contest she was starting at school, one that required each student selected for the activity to read a book every week until the end of the school year. She hadn’t mentioned the contest in class, she told Mother, because she was approaching the candidates one by one and getting parental approval before she proceeded. I had been selected along with five others to participate. She also informed me that any student who read more than the required books on the list, could get extra points to advance their score. Each contestant would be questioned by her and other teachers on the content of the reading, not just to see if we’d read the book but how well we’d read it. My big worry was that Mother would keep me so busy with my piano lessons, my flannel graph stories for Wednesday nights at church once a month and my house chores, especially baby-sitting my two brothers while she did housework that I wouldn’t have time to read. I actually did that cliché sheet-tent with flashlight after lights out several times in order to meet my weekly quota for the contest.
I thought of my grandfather a lot during those weeks of reading. He could’ve cut straight to word definitions that took so long for me to find in the dictionary. When I asked Daddy—forget Mother and her madness for housecleaning—he didn’t know half of what I was asking even with all his reading from his newspapers. He finished high school, but a year late, and his reading was thorough but slow, his writing abysmal. He actually wrote “duz” or “does,” but he had a remarkable comprehension and memory for what he read. Mother went to grade school in a country one-room schoolhouse and finished high school in her senior years with a General Education Diploma and turned into a great reader. She even attended one year at The University of Oklahoma. But in my growing up years, word definitions weren’t my parents’ forte.
When I read at home for the contest, I’d make a list of words I didn’t understand and after searching in the dictionary without results, I asked Miss Goddard to tell me from the larger one she had on a stand in the classroom.
        My major difficulty was the symbols for pronunciation and the ones in brackets for the origin of words. Even so, I won the third grade reading award, given to me in front of the whole school, at the end of the year, May, 1946. Mother came, sitting on the front row, smiling proudly, but with worry on her face that I might make a mistake. I gave a two sentence speech that Mother helped me write. My voice shook a little, but Miss Goddard stood by my side while my eyes never left Mother’s face, her mouthing the words as I spoke them.
        “My Grandfather Becker told me that reading was the backbone of education, but Miss Goddard taught me that reading is education. Thank you, Miss Goddard.” Everybody applauded and Miss Goddard handed me my framed copy of the award, written in dark black letters on a gilt background with my full name in what she explained later was an Old English style.
My name was lettered on the line under the insignia of an open book with a torch and the large words forming an archway over the top of the page read, “Excellence in Reading.” I have no idea where that certificate is, lost, no doubt, during one of over a dozen moves my family and I made during my childhood until I graduated from high school.
        I read thirty books that school year, even though there were thirty-six weeks in our school calendar. The next candidate read twenty-three. I kept the list of books for a long time—there were fifty—and checked those I read. We had to read them in sequence, skipping ahead only if we read first the one assigned for each week.
        My favorites were: Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Secret Garden, Heidi, and The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood. And I read a lot of the Nancy Drew series which weren’t on the list. Mother checked out books for me from the library without hesitation after Miss Goddard talked to her, so I asked for some that she never would’ve let me read if I hadn’t been a participant in the reading contest. Two of these were Perrault’s Complete Fairy Tales and The Book of Fables. Mennonites don’t read fairy tales, at least not when I was a kid.
When the year ended, I knew we were moving once again so I stayed after school the last day to say good-bye to Miss Goddard, crying on her shoulder, while she gave me a long hug. It felt a little like losing Grandad again. She had shown me how to love words like he had, but now I could read, truly read. After Miss Goddard had hugged me good-bye, she held me out a little from her and through her thick gold-rimmed glasses, she told me that I read on a fifth-grade level, well above my peers, and I shouldn’t ever use my reading ability to make others feel beneath me, but I should remain proud of my love to comprehend what I read and always keep my passion for reading and for new words.
When I went to college, four years later than most high school students in my hometown, I chose to study art studio and art history. I couldn’t simply get a degree in the making of art. I had too much love for the words that described what I was doing.

Note: In all of my fiction, when a first or third grade teacher’s name is needed, I use the name Miss Goddard. It’s my way of paying homage to a woman who encouraged me in my reading when I was alone in my pursuit of word knowledge.
           



No comments:

Post a Comment